Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lancaster County Courthouse, SC (Historic) Part 2


Probably the last witch trial in America was held in Lancaster, South Carolina in 1813, before Judge David Johnson, who later became governor.
Barbara Powers, an old woman of Chesterfield, was accused of maltreating by diabolical arts a girl from Lancaster. The girl testified, "being fatigued one evening . . . I lay down to rest; Barbara Powers . . . choked me with great violence. After this, she raised me up, converted me into a horse and rode me to Lancaster.
"At Lancaster, she went through the keyhole into several shops, brought out goods of great value, loaded me with them and rode me into Chesterfield with her booty."
"Then she rode me to Cheraw . . . and then rode me back to her residence."
------------------





     And that's the rest of my story. I'm going to do more research to see if I can find any sort of records beyond this. Maybe I'll be able to track down a gravesite or two. Who knows?

     Thanks for reading. 

S

No comments:

Post a Comment