Monday, April 8, 2013

Munzee or I've created a monster...

Late in the morning on Saturday, my parents called wanting to take the kids out shopping so they could spend a bit of time with them. I don't care how long you've been a parent, how protective you are over your children, whatever worries you may have about them being away from your side, the answer is always YES!!!


+Wally Turbeville has gotten me interested in +Munzee again. I have to admit that I didn't give it a chance the first time around but, to be honest, no one was playing here. I placed the first Munzee in South Carolina. It has never been captured. A game is no fun when you're the only one playing in your area, no matter how much you try to get others to play.

A lot of folks don't like it, it's not geocaching. You don't find anything. What's the point? (I am getting to that.)

I have been geocaching for over ten years, as I have mentioned before. I always enjoy it but I do get burned out on it from time to time. A lot of folk don't put thought into their hides, the spots aren't interesting, the containers are lame, it's just another lamp post, etc. The same can be said for any of the geo location hobbies. It depends on the cacher/munzer(?) on what the hobby and the experience are to them. You get out of it what you give. My fun is in-between caches for the most part. If I'm alone the caching comes second as long as I have my camera or can put a paddle in the water. Or light up a tunnel with my headlamp.
But back to Saturday. We decided to go down to Camden, SC to hide (post?) a few Munzees that I had printed up. I also wanted to grab a few that were around the area, just testing the waters. At the first three, Mags / MASEEGARS+Mary Ann Seegars just watched and then I saw this...

Their are 92 Munzee in this area. I know that makes me sound like a number whore, I'm not, I looked at it as more of a chance to try several different types. I grabbed Mags phone from her hands and downloaded the app. We hit a few single Munzee and then went to lunch. Afterwards, we headed for the rest stop off of U.S. 20 that we are going to be spending a bit of time at for the next couple of hours of free time that we have. 

I started showing Mags how to use the app while I refreshed myself. I am iffy about the iPhone app, but I also know that there is an update in beta right now so no review of the app right now and no complaints. It gets me there and much like my first GPS, the find/capture gets made. So I think we spent the next hour, maybe an hour and a half at this rest stop looking for those little QR codes. 

The placement of all these proved to be a pretty quick training ground for both of us, so much so that we took the kids back to a park in Camden Sunday and made a picnic lunch of McDonalds. The kids got to play at their playground and we got to play at ours. Six more Munzees in the bag and I thought that might do her for the week but then I get this today.


She ended up grabbing six today (Monday. During her "break") and making Level 8. Not bad from nothing at all on Saturday. And for her to strike out by herself is really something. I know she likes it.

She was with me at my first geocache find and for many in between. I have never seen her get overly excited about a cache. Saturday I looked over and she had a smile on her face doing this. She was actually enjoying herself. And in the end it wasn't about the Munzees, or caches, it was that we've found something that we enjoy doing together.

So I Munzee now. Munzees are cool.

She's going to make me do this.
I just know it.



No comments:

Post a Comment