Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A New Dead Language

I read a lot. I find it sad that languages die because the native speakers of that language pass away. 

Dialects like Cromarty, a Scottish dialect, that died with this gentleman. 


Just think of the stories that are lost because there was one word that can't be translated into any other language. Think of the sound of that language, even though you or I may never have heard it. It was probably music to someone's ears as they came home from war or the first thing they ever heard as they came into this world. 

Today, here in the US, a language started its descent into history. My son underwent a frenulectomy to correct the fact that he was tongue tied. A simple procedure and we were in and out in less than two hours. A little discomfort and lots of pudding and Jello. He's okay. 

But he has already started to hit letters dead on that weren't there before when he speaks. He said his sisters name, Logan, properly today instead of Wogan. 

A language started dying today. It's last speaker is still living but just gave it up through necessity. I am the last person who could translate that language but I couldn't properly speak it if I tried. 

The language of Sam can be added to the list of dead languages. It is exciting that he moves on in life but I am going to miss that little connection that only he and I had. 


No comments:

Post a Comment